Popes have signed lots of things throughout the centuries… promulgations, encyclicals, letters, treaties, baseballs, motorcycles, surf boards.
haha. Enjoy 35 photos of Popes signing things.
1. Opening Vatican II-John XXIII
The Second Vatican Council was opened by Pope John XXIII on October 11, 1962.
This is the lead seal (“bulla”) from a bull, from Innocent III.
3. Speech to the United Nations-Paul VI
Paul VI was the first Pope to address the United Nations on October 4, 1965.
4. White House Guest Book-John Paul II
First Pope to visit the White House, October 1979.
5. The encyclical Lumen Fidei
An encyclical started by Benedict XVI and completed by Francis.
6. Another Papal bull-Urban VI
7. Apostolic exhortation Verbum Domini
8. The encyclical Pacem in Terris
9. Something Phenomenological
10. Theology that would blow your mind
11. Yet another guestbook
13. BXVI wuz here
14. This book
John Paul II
15. Guest book at the United Nations
16. Benedict XV swamped with paperwork
17. Pius XII contemplating signing something
18. Also this blessing
19. Correcting the Archbishop of Canterbury’s theology homework
“Not bad, my son, but we still have some work to do. Very close though, very close…”
20. This baseball
21. That baseball
John Paul II
22. The internet
23. Fangirl’s autograph book
24. The dinner check
25. This Harley motorcycle fender
26. That Harley fender
27. Each others’ yearbooks
“Have an awesome summer, 2 cool + 2 be= 4 got” -Frank +
28. The Great signs an autograph for The Greatest
29. A Sticky Wicket
Is this a Cricket thing? I think this is a Cricket thing.
30. This Surfboard
32. The Tweeter
Follow Pope Francis @Pontifex.
33. The letter “F”
34. The number 2
35. International sign for sunglasses