It’s that time of the year when the leisurely pace of summer has ended and the rush of the (soon-to-be) Autumn season is picking up steam. Whether you’re in school, you have children who have started school, your workload has picked up, or you’re simply caught up in the rush, you know that sometimes you’re crunched for time on prayers. All those wonderful devotions and improvements you did to your prayer life over your summer break seem to have flown out the window. Instead of giving up praying for whenever you can find the time and/or leaving it for Sundays, why not try learning aspirations and sprinkling them in during your day?
“What are aspirations?” you may be wondering. Aspirations are some of the short prayers you can memorize and pray whenever you need them. You can make them up on the spot or you can check out this list of 20 of the best aspirations to learn for your busiest days.
1. O God, be merciful to me a sinner.
2. O Lord, do not remember our former wickedness, and be merciful and forgive our sins for the sake of your holy name.
3. O merciful Lord, you are never weary of speaking to my poor heart. Grant me the grace that, if today I hear your voice, my heart may not be hardened.
4. Lord, I am my own enemy when I seek my peace apart from You.
5. Blessed be the name of the Lord!
6. My Lord Jesus Christ, for the sake of thy sufferings, grant me such faith, hope, charity, sorrow for my sins, and love of prayer as will save and sanctify my soul.
7. We adore and praise thee, most holy Lord Jesus Christ, because by thy holy cross thou hast redeemed the world.
8. Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, grant us your peace.
9. Good Jesus, give me a deep love for Thee, that nothing may be too hard for me to bear from Thee.
10. Divine Heart of Jesus, convert sinners, save the dying, deliver the holy souls in purgatory.
11. Heart of Jesus, I put my trust in thee!
12. Eucharistic heart of Jesus, increase in us our faith, hope, and charity.
13. O Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, have mercy on us.
14. My sweetest Jesus, be not my judge, but my Savior.
15. Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forevermore.
16. O Good Jesus, shelter me from the evil one, shed thy dew upon me to calm my soul, and dwell in me fully, that I may wholly love thee.
17. Holy Spirit, command me to do your will.
18. O Holy Spirit, sweet Guest of my soul, abide in me and grant that I may ever abide in Thee.
19. My Queen! my Mother! remember I am thine own. Keep me, guard me, as thy property and possession.
20. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, bless us now and at the hour of our death.
Stuck in heavy traffic or losing patience in some other situation? Why not try prayer number 10 while offering it up for the souls in purgatory?
Having a hard day that seems to be getting longer? Praying number 17 and 11 would be a good start. Simply want to acknowledge your gratitude for a blessing you’ve recognized during your day? Prayer numbers 7 and 15 would be perfect.
No matter how busy you get or how crazy things seem to be, never forget to pray. It may seem like the last thing you want to do on your most frustrating days but sometimes it’s exactly what you need to get through all the chaos.