The famous writer G.K.Chesterton once replied to a newspaper column asking people to say what is wrong with the world.
What is wrong with the world?
Chesterton was right, but he would have agreed that what was wrong with him is wrong with all of us. Here are the six inter-related problems with me, with you and with the whole world:
1. Pride – The basic underlying assumption that I am right
2. Prejudice – The conclusion that if I am right you must be wrong
3. Power – If I am right and you are wrong I should have power over you.
4. Resentment – The nagging belief that somebody else is to blame for my problems
5. Rivalry – If they are to blame for my problems they are my rival and my enemy.
6. Revenge – If they are my enemy they must be destroyed.
This potent cocktail of venom is what I describe in my book Immortal Combat: Confronting the Heart of Darkness.
The good news is that we don’t have to live this way. The second half of my book explains how the cross of Christ is the antidote to this poison, and how we can be set free to live in the power of light, love and new life.
Go here to learn more about Fr Longenecker’s new book Immortal Combat: Confronting the Heart of Darkness from Sophia Press.